Interval Smalltalk redux (was "SqueakOS")

Roger Vossler rvossler at qwest.net
Sat Oct 5 19:23:51 UTC 2002

Hi Gang,

Back in the early 1980's, Modula Corp. marketed the Lilith workstation
which was
based upon Nicklaus Wirth's work at ETHZ. The Lilith was a bytecode
machine
running MEDOS, an operating environment coded entirely in Modula-2. It
ran
circles around many machines of the day. While the Lilith was a great
piece
of technology, Modula Corp. ran aground on financial, political, and
other issues.

Cheers, Roger.....

On Thursday, Oct 3, 2002, at 22:04 America/Denver, Tim Rowledge wrote:

[snip]

> Exactly; a very special case where the financial logic pushes the other
> way to 'normal' desktop machines. Jecel is one ofthe very very small
> number of peopleI belive could even come close to making special
> purpose
> hardware actually deliver. SUN tried at least acouple of times for java
> nad seem to have failed. SOAR was not very effective, Sword/32 failed,
> iAPX432 was a dog, etc etc. None of which means that nobody will ever
> suceed, it just means I won't be putting any of my millions into the
> project.

[snip]