Squeak and parallel computation

Ian Piumarta ian.piumarta at inria.fr
Tue Oct 8 00:28:55 UTC 2002

On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Aaron J Reichow wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Ian Piumarta wrote:
> > if your VM runs on one processor and your X server on another then
> > you should see an improvement for graphics-bound code.

I can get the ratio to 5:1 Squeak:X by scrolling a large window of text.

Every time Squeak does screen (or keyboard/mouse) i/o it's fighting with X
server for resources.  One of the "improving performance" hints in the X11
FAQ is to run clients on a different machine, which is the same thing as
"one of your other processors" modulo the network.  (This doesn't work
well for Squeak since it stores the display as a client-side image and the
network bandwith goes through the roof when you try to run it remotely.
OTOH, running it on one of your other processors should yield the same
advantages as running remotely but without any of the disadvantages of
network saturation -- particularly when using shared memory to send the
image to the server.)

But I'm only guessing.  Maybe somebody with a SMP machine can testify from
experience.

Regards,
Ian