Squeak and parallel computation

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Oct 8 03:49:00 UTC 2002

A long time ago I did a VM change to cache screen update events so you
could
do the actual drawing only every N milliseconds. Ah yes
deferred screen updates at

http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com/papers/tipsAndThoughts/
codeFragments.html

This has the nice effect of consolidating the drawing and reducing the
amount of network traffic. Alas it also has the side-effect of mangling
cool morphic animation because you can't see all the smooth rendering
at 60+ frames a second like you do now on your high powered
workstation.  Also less X server resources etc etc for local drawing ,
just because we might do less drawing.

I've also heard that using VNC solves some of these traffic issues,
with perhaps the same jerky screen
updating...

On Monday, October 7, 2002, at 05:28  PM, Ian Piumarta wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Aaron J Reichow wrote:
>> On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Ian Piumarta wrote:
>>> if your VM runs on one processor and your X server on another then
>>> you should see an improvement for graphics-bound code.
>
> I can get the ratio to 5:1 Squeak:X by scrolling a large window of
> text.
>
> Every time Squeak does screen (or keyboard/mouse) i/o it's fighting
> with X
> server for resources.  One of the "improving performance" hints in the
> X11
> FAQ is to run clients on a different machine, which is the same thing
> as
> "one of your other processors" modulo the network.  (This doesn't work
> well for Squeak since it stores the display as a client-side image and
> the
> network bandwith goes through the roof when you try to run it remotely.
> OTOH, running it on one of your other processors should yield the same
> advantages as running remotely but without any of the disadvantages of
> network saturation -- particularly when using shared memory to send the
> image to the server.)
>
> But I'm only guessing.  Maybe somebody with a SMP machine can testify
> from
> experience.
>
> Regards,
> Ian