newbie question about Scamper and firewall proxy

David Faught dave_faught at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 15 12:48:46 UTC 2002

>David Faught wrote:
>>
>> Hi, I am new to Squeak but not to general
programming.
>>  I am trying to do some of the tutorials using
Scamper
>> within Squeak 3.2, but can't get through our
firewall.
>>  I just get, for example, the message:
>>
>> "error occured retrieving
>> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak: Server
>> minnow.cc.gatech.edu is not responding"
>>
>> When normally using Internet Explorer, the firewall
>> proxy server is set up in the Internet Options, and
>> when I then request a page that requires Internet
>> access, I get prompted for a userid and password to
>> authenticate to the firewall.
>>
>> In Squeak, I see some code in the HTTP protocol
that
>> looks like it is set up to use such a proxy, and
there
>> is code somewhere (in Scamper I think?) that looks
>> like it automatically requests a userid/password
when
>> a particular HTTP status code is received, but
somehow
>> I never get prompted for the firewall.  Scamper
just
>> goes directly to the message above.
>>
>> Is there something easy that I am missing here?
How
>> can I make this work?
>>

>Try using:

>HTTPSocket useProxyServerNamed:
'yourproxy.yourdomain.com' port: 80.

>You need to type this into a workspace, substituting
>your correct proxy
>server name between the single quotes, and your
>correct port number.

>Then select to highlight the text and "Do It" to
>execute it.
>Don't forget to save the image after you do this, or
>you will have to do
>this each time you come into Squeak.

>Steve Gilbert

Thanks, this is helpful, but doesn't quite solve the
problem.  Now I get directed to the firewall, but
never get prompted for a userid/password for
authentication.  The firewall quickly gives me back
the message:

Invalid Login Notification

Your Attempted Login Is Invalid For At Least One Of
The Following Reasons:

• Incorrect Password
• Incorrect User Name