[ANN] So where's 3.2-5 for Unix?

Ian Piumarta ian.piumarta at inria.fr
Wed Oct 16 08:17:33 UTC 2002

Folks,

It's in the usual place [1].  Lots and lots of changes.  I've tried to
make sure I addressed all the issues that arose in 3.2-4; if I missed some
then I apologise (and please prod me gently via email, thanks!).

The release notes are appended.

Enjoy!

Ian

[1] http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/
    Note that the 3.2-4952 image is also available as .tgz and .rpm from
    there.

Major changes since 3.2-4:

VM:

  Option `-fullscreen' should work better.

  New option: `-iconic' which does the obvious thing.

  New option: `-notimer' disables use of itimers and reverts to
  gettimeofday() for low-res clock.

  Selection handling support for compatibility with latest Qt (based
  on code from Ned Konz -- thanks!).

  Delicious new browser support code from Bert Freudenberg.  (Tested
  under Mozilla on GNU/Linux PPC, but YKMV.)

  Minor tweaks to closing the X connection via OSProcPlug.  (Thanks to
  Dave Lewis for spotting the problem.)

  Minor tweak in sound output to cope with incomplete writes (which
  shouldn't happen, but some ALSA drivers just don't want to respect
  the rules).  (Thanks to Lex for this one.)

  Broken versions of Solaris that lack snprintf() should no longer
  cause compile/link errors.

  As a failsafe, sqGnu.h now defines (empty) all xx_REG symbols on
  platforms it doesn't recognise.  (Thanks to Tommy Thorn for spotting
  the problem.)

  aio can now manage fd 0 (stdin).

Plugins:

  RePlugin is now bundled with the VM.

  Minor tweaks to PseudoTTYPlugin to avoid potential SEGV from stale
  AsyncFile handles.

  PTYPlugin is now external by default, to ease the task of compiling
  on systems that have broken (or no) pty support.  (There might still
  be problems on old [pre-2.8] Solaris, Irix and HP/UX.  Not having
  accounts on such machines I cannot really test it all.)

  SqueakFFIPrims is now enabled and bundled with the VM as an external
  plugin (and various patches for PPC have been submitted to the
  libffi folks as a result ;).  Hopefully this will allow Unix
  Squeakers to drink tea on the croquet lawn along with everyone else.

Build:

  Build process now uses a configure script generated from the VERY
  LATEST autoconf (2.53) and libtool (1.4.2) that I downloaded
  _direct_ from gnu.org and lovingly installed by hand (rather than
  using the broken ones that were in pkgsrc and which created
  practically unusable configure scripts in 3.2-4).  Many associated
  diverse changes in the *.{ac,in} files due to incompatibilities in
  the new autoconf.  (Obviously this only applies to `configure' as
  shipped from our factory.  If you regenerate `configure' for
  yourself then everything depends on your autoconf [not mine] and
  your [fictitious] warranty is immediately void. ;)

  configure now recognises `--with-gnu-awk[=gawk]' to force gawk even
  on systems where mawk is the default.  PLEASE use this flag if you
  have problems rather than complaining to me about gnuify not
  working.

  configure now recognises `--with-browser' to include browser support
  (npsqueak) in the build.  (Experimental, not properly integrated
  with the install targets, and not [yet] quite the final thing that
  Bert and I are aiming for.  Use at your own risk.)

  SqueakFFIPrims is enabled conditionally on ffi.h and libffi.so (the
  latter becomes a library dependency of the plugin).  The header and
  library must be in your compiler's default search paths.

Support:

  inisqueak now looks first for `squeak.{image,changes}' in the libdir,
  to let sysadmins link to the preferred VM.  If more than one VM is in
  libdir then inisqueak presents a list and lets you choose.  It also
  has some options:
	-b	avoid all interaction (exit status => success)
	-l	list available VM versions
	-n	install but don't start up

  Manual page updated to include the new options, etc.

Prebuilt distributions:

  I can't be bothered rebooting my powerbook to make a NetBSD/macppc
  distribution.  (In the whole time that I have been making BSD
  binaries available, only two people ever downloaded them.)  If I'm
  wrong (maybe hundreds of BSD fans are secretly downloading them from
  uiuc?) then tell me and I'll get off my rear end and build one.