Squeak Starter

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Thu Oct 17 09:33:28 UTC 2002

Hi Les (and all) long time no hear! :-)

"Les Tyrrell" <tyrrell at canis.uiuc.edu> wrote:
> > Hi gang,
> >
> > After a year away from Smalltalk I have come back to the light.
> > Still catching up on all the changes... phew quite a task.
> > Still much of the chatter reminds me of my reaction to
> > Les Miserables... "such a lot of fuss over a piece of toast!" ;-}>
>
> Well, I am sorry to see things going like this.  I don't recall volunteering
> any effort on the current incarnation of Modules in Squeak, but I do recall
> warning of the difficulty of this task based on my own experiences with Oasis.
> I look at these posts and to me it seems that folks have seriously
> underestimated this problem- I get the distinct impression that everyone
> involved expected this to be a slam-dunk.  It's not.  There are a lot of

Nah, I don't think this is true. I did definitely NOT expect it to be a
slam-dunk.
I even said at OOPSLA last year when the stuff went into the 3.3 stream
that "Ok, this is going to be a rough ride..." or something to that
effect. What I meant was exactly this - this is hard stuff.

But at the same time (I agree with Daniel about certain things also, see
other post) Henrik did get quite a lot of stuff working IMHO. Sure - it
IS NOT FINISHED - and he has never said it was! Again - it's in alpha
people...

He explicitly asked for help and only got a bit of it. There are of
course several reasons for this like for example that there are many
that simply aren't up to this level of Squeak hacking, don't have time,
have problems to cooperate with othe developers, etc. And that is noones
fault.

[SNIP of lots of stuff I fully agree on]
> I'd be happy to talk with anyone at OOPSLA this year about Squeak & Modules.

I will be there! :-) And so will Doug Way and probably a whole bunch of
other people.
Why don't we simply (separated from the SqueakBOF) do a Modules BOF or
something?
I think that would be good.

> I can only discuss my own efforts regarding Oasis ( as I said, I've been
> rather busy ), but I am always happy to share whatever meaningful ( or
> meaningless ) insights I may have.

Your insights are always welcome because we know you have a lot of
experience here.

regards, Göran

PS. Have you seen my (and Daniel's) SqueakMap stuff? Yesterday I noted
on the Swiki that it more or less perfectly matches your thoughts you
had (check recent changes or links to the page "SqueakMap"). DS