Odd 'dead' primitives

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Oct 17 22:01:03 UTC 2002

I'm working on removing the obsolete primitive tables etc from the VM,
ready for VI4 stuff. There are several prims that have odd comments
associated with them that I don't recognise, so I'm hoping some alert
reader can recall what might be intended by:-

(123 primitiveValueUninterruptably)"@@@: Remove this when all VMs have
support" - there is a method calling this prim in
BlockContext>ifProperUnwindSupportedElseSignalAboutToReturn and another
in BlockContext>valueUninterruptably

 "NOTE: When removing the obsolete indexed primitives,
 the following two should go become #primitiveIntegerAt/atPut"
 (147 primitiveObsoloteIndexedPrimitive) "primitiveReadJoystick"
 (147 primitiveObsoleteIndexedPrimitive) "primitiveWarpBits"
 - which reads a bit oddly and makes little sense to me, as if it got
 reformatted by prettyprint sometime.

In addition, there are a mere ten prims with no module name, eight
relating to the webbrowser plugin stuff plus #actualScreenDepth and
#disablePowerManager. Anyone have strong thoughts on which plugins might
be better homes for them?

If we can clean this up, move a couple of high number prims and so on we
could drop to only 9 bits for primitive index in the method header,
leaving some for other uses. Getting rid of the obsolete prim tables and
shrinking the prim table will save a few kb.

tim
Mommy!  The cursor's winking at me!