[ANN] DVS rev. 1.28

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Fri Oct 18 13:46:47 UTC 2002

danielv at netvision.net.il wrote:
> A few small things -
> 1. It seems to open the PackagePanel when it comes up. It has five
> buttons, and it's not quite clear what they mean, or what exactly is
> shown in the list below, and how I add/remove things from it.
>
> In short, a help menu item/balloon help would be useful.

Balloon help is simple and nice.

> 2. SqueakMap still shown the current version as 1.28 - yes Goran and I
> need to make a nice simple integrated way to publish updated versions
> from within Squeak.

Yep.

> 3. Looking at the PackagePanel, it also seems to support loading
> packages. How does it relate/differ from the SqueakMap browser or
> loader? when does one use it?

Eh, now you are confusing things... "loading" in this respect is (I
guess) loading from .st files on disk.
DVS is a CVS mirroring tool just like CVSTProj - but a little bit
niftier in design I guess (going through ChangeSets).

Of course DVS and SqueakMap could surely be tied together in interesting
ways... For example - DVS could subclass SMInstaller (mimicking
SMDefaultInstaller) and thus take care of installation/upgrades of
packages that have been filed out using DVS. Just one simple problem -
currently the installers detect if they can handle the download filename
and the default installer gets triggered for .cs.gz, .cs, .st and
.st.gz. Another extension perhaps for DVS fileouts?

> If as it seems, it finds the packages in the image, it's sort of useless
> for loading new packages, isn't it? maybe I don't quite get the point
> here...
>
> 4. The PackagePanel seems to get it's list from the PackageInfo
> subclasses. Shouldn't it actually use all instances, for packages that
> don't define a custom subclass?

Eh, AFAICT PackageInfo is not a "real class" - it's a "hack" so that you
can include data about the "package" by simply putting such a class in
your class category. Why am I answering this, Avi knows of course much
better... But that was how I understood his post about it.

regards, Göran