Squeak Starter

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Fri Oct 18 23:42:38 UTC 2002

On Friday 18 October 2002 07:36 am, Roel Wuyts wrote:
> Stef has this kind of setup in mind, and in that setup there is no
> difference between modules and delta-modules. A module is something
> which has definitions and which you can apply on a system.

But that (a simple declarative system) not sufficient to do what we
want to do with the system. There has to be a way to remove an
existing method (at least for your code).

So unless you effectively define an entire module which consists of
the original module MINUS the method, you don't get the behavior you
want.

I _think_ the DM's are a way to do this kind of specification: "this
is a module just like module X but with this removed, this added, and
this modified".

That they are represented as deltas is an optimization that matches
the way people work; one could make a new module by copying the
original and then editing it. The addition of namespaces lets
different modules with the same name coexist in the system, of
course.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com