[ANN]SqueakMap RC1!

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Wed Oct 23 18:03:05 UTC 2002

SqueakMap is evolving fast (since I have given it some hard time here)
and Release Candidate 1 is out, here is the entry on SqueakMap itself:

http://marvin.bluefish.se:8000/sm/packagebyname/squeakmap

Ok, how do you start using SqueakMap then?

Well, soon we will be trying to push this out into 3.2 using the update
stream, but before that you can test it so come and join the party and
squeeze out a few bugs! This do-it downloads SqueakMap RC1 and installs
it in a separate ChangeSet, proceeds by installing SM Package Loader (a
UI tool for SqueakMap) and then offer you to open it up:

ChangeSorter newChangesFromStream:
('http://anakin.bluefish.se:8000/gohu/uploads/11/squeakmap-021023RC1.cs.
gz' asUrl retrieveContents content unzipped readStream)
 named: 'squeakmap-021023RC1'

Do read the little help text available from the popup menu. There are
some small usability issues with SM Package Loader, but report them to
Daniel or here on the mailinglist and we will get them fixed. Daniel
will be updating SM Package Loader on friday and for example, I have
already sent him a fix for the pale color (same fix as has been
submitted for ProcessBrowser btw) and for reporting that "Download
failed" when it is in fact the installation that fails. :-)

A few highlights about RC1:

- Lots of small fixes. Gone through all comments etc.
- Smarter version string if none given.
- Support for fallback onto a list of master servers etc. Base list of
masters "burnt in".
- Support for "reinstallation" by giving the choice of filing into an
already existing change set.
- Support for Ned Konz .sar format which is a multichangeset (or other
files) autoinstallable zip archive. Pretty cool.
- Spam blockers allowed in registrations, just update your entry and
read the info at the top.
- A few more services in the domain model that haven't been made
available in any UI yet (like "Please upgrade all my installed packages
that have newer versions available..." similar to "apt-get upgrade" in
Debian)

As a test I tried to install all packages that are autoinstallable in a
fresh clean updated 3.2 image with SqueakMap RC1 installed using the
above do-it and here are the results grouped by package format:

-Simple changeset: BehavioralInspector 0.1, SWebMail 0.5
-Simple compressed changeset: SharedStreams 1.0, Seaside 2.01, Telnet
300, SpaghettiTracer 0.3, SqueakMap 021023RC1, SqueakMap Browser 021023,
SM Package Loader 0.92
-DVS produced .st file: DVS 1.34 (I presume it is! :-))
-DVS produced compressed .st file: Refactoring Browser 0.91
-Squeak Archive .sar file (zip) multi changeset with preamble script:
HttpView 021023

Of these 11 worked (but SpaghettiTracer depends on DVS so you must
install DVS first) and 2 failed.
-SWebMail refers to IADialog (?) so the fileIn fails (but SM Package
Loader says "Download failed...").
-Magma is a .zip archive that needs to be manually installed and
currently SMZipInstaller reacts on both .zip and .sar thinking that
Magma is autoinstallable, which it is not. We should probably restrict
it to .sar files. And it should report an error...

The other 3 entries in SqueakMap (JDepper, SqueakAmp and the X10 Driver)
do not have download files registered for them.

Have fun, Göran

PS. Scott, the changeset that the do-it refers to is the one I am aiming
to get into 3.2 updates. Could you take a look? And Doug? DS