An uncomfortable question

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Wed Oct 23 21:58:58 UTC 2002

"Andrew C. Greenberg" <werdna at mucow.com> wrote...

>Are we forking without actually realizing --or admitting to ourselves-- that we are forking?

Hi, Andrew (and all) -

This is a very good question.  To me the only truly uncomfortable part is the lack of clarity on the issue, for which I am willing to take part of the blame.  As soon as we have clarity, I am confident that we can forge a reasonable strategy for getting the most out of our efforts as we have in the past.

I'm not an astrologer, but I'm amused to receive your message no more than three hours after I sent very nearly the same message to what you might call SqC++, in other words SqC as it has evolved over the last year.

Of course this is an issue that affects the whole Squeak community and, as such, the resolution should come from the community as a whole, not just us.  What I would like to contribute at this point is a nice clear statement about where SqC is headed and how it could dovetail with the other needs and enthusiasms of the community in general, but I can't.

What I can tell you is that we are right now addressing essentially the same question among ourselves, and that we have set a date for its resolution.  In less than two weeks at least 3 of us (and maybe you, too, Andrew?) will be together at the Hackers Conference, and I hereby commit to report whatever clarity we can achieve regarding both technical direction and community participation from this corner.

	- Dan