An uncomfortable question

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Thu Oct 24 08:08:11 UTC 2002

Hi all!

At several points in the ongoing threads that touch upon this problem we
(or at least I) have asked for some input from SqC and Andreas has at
least posted his thoughts. I have been missing thoughts from you Dan and
others too, not only from SqC.

The problem is a bit of leadership here - SqF hasn't grown strong yet
and SqC has been pretty silent for quite a long time. That might of
course be intentional to see if the rest of us can find a structure
where SqC isn't leading. :-)

But IMHO it would still have been interesting to hear your thoughts...

It looks to me that DVS and SqueakMap (and the new .sar format etc) is
getting awfully close (well, DVS is more than close) to start taking on
responsibilities that Modules in 3.3a has. And these components are
getting more and more developer mindshare which means a lot.

I have even at one or two occasions tried to present different roads
where one of the roads is to freeze 3.3a, bring all the goodies back
over ontop of 3.2 but leave Modules and then go from there. Why? Well,
obviously Modules (as in Henrik's code) has some problems - the
technical ones are of course debatable, but the these facts are hard to
deny:

1. Noone seems to fully understand and be able to work with the code
except for Henrik. Daniel and Andreas have done valiant efforts. (This
does not imply that the code is bad, I am just looking at people here)

2. Henrik has stepped down, and I don't blaim him. But it still means
that questions on design and code goes unanswered.

3. People react negatively when they realize that they can't "live" in
3.3a to do their work. In earlier alphas this has been no problem - it
has been remarkably stable. But this time it is not and really important
things have been changed and are not functional. We knew this would
happen, - I even remember saying "Now all hell will break loose..." at
the last OOPSLA when Modules hit the update stream. But I still hoped
that it would be a positive thing in the end when the dust settled down.

...but why am I blabbering, I don't think anyone listens much to me
anyway. (sudden strike of insight)

regards, Göran