SqueakMap Package Loader

danielv at netvision.net.il danielv at netvision.net.il
Thu Oct 24 21:48:51 UTC 2002

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=F6ran_Hultgren?= <goran.hultgren at bluefish.se> wrote:
> 1. Could you use checkbox menu items for the filters? Right now even I get
> confused when clicking around in the filters...
Never done that before, I'll have a look. Maybe a dynamic window label
saying things like "SM Package Loader (new&newer packages)" would be
useful?

> 2. It could be nice to be able to list "installed packages" also.
Ok.

> 3. When the package loader fires up for the first time it is confusing if it
> doesn't show any packages...
Hmmm, when does this happen?

> 4. Could you make it update itself after a net update? I think SqueakMap Browser
> does that so it couldn't be too hard.
Done.

> 5. This is an "extra" but it would be cool if installed packages could be made
> "bold" or something - the versionLabel thing doesn't stand out that much.
Ok, I'll look at how to do it. But should installed or uninstalled
packages be bold?
People?

> (I also sent you an email about the different package states and what they
> should mean - but I think that can wait for the next release of SM , SMLoader
> and SMBrowser.)
"Waiting on main..." I'm still thinking about it.

> Quoting danielv at netvision.net.il:
> [SNIP]
> > However, I think it's much more important that this Loader be usable
> > and
> > simple than that it have lots of features.
>
> True, we can always stuff all the funky features into SqueakMap Browser instead
> and let that tool turn into the "dselect of Squeak" :-) (internal Debian joke).
>
> And of course - SM Package Loader is loaded directly from the map when SqueakMap
> RC1 is loaded into the image (using a postscript). This means that there is no
> "deadline" for SM Loader.

BTW, Ned sent an ENH the other day that makes SMCard fullDescription be
HTML. Check it out and consider integrating it into SM, I like it.
Actually, maybe fields other than downloadUrl could also be links, like
the mail to maintainer.