SqueakMap Package Loader

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Fri Oct 25 02:09:08 UTC 2002

On Thursday 24 October 2002 05:36 pm, Norton, Chris wrote:

> The next thing I noticed is that the stock Squeak image can't
> display Göran's name properly.  Apparently we need to add 'ö' to
> the standard font set.  With so many European Squeakers, I was
> rather surprised to see this.

I believe that this is because the character encoding used on the web
page is different from the one used in Squeak. The 246 byte for the ö
character got transferred (perhaps ISO8859-1), but Squeak doesn't
regard it as an  ö character. In this case, perhaps we should have
called isoToSqueak which would have transcoded it right.

Hmm.. that can be done in the method I added the clickable links to.
Try the attached CS.

> Looking over the details, I see two
> URLs (Homepage & Download).  Wouldn't it be nice if these were a
> different color and/or underlined, as they are in all of my web
> browsers?

That's what my recent enhancement does; this has already been wrapped
into the next version of Squeakmap.

> OK, so I'm back to wondering what the heck I can do with this tool.
>  I tried right mouse clicking over the description pane and didn't
> even get an edit menu, though I *can* type in that window.  Hmm.
> What does that mean?

It means that the pane needs to be locked.

> (self newCategoryWithId: '82f328ab-175d-40b4-a363-bc0287dabd77')
> 	created: 3206703836
> 	updated:3206703836
> 	name: 'Development tools'
> 	summary: 'Add-on development tools for Squeak.'
> 	url: ''
> 	mandatory: false
> 	parentId: nil!
>
> This seems, to me, to be some sort of temporary data file.  I can
> only presume that it was downloaded from http://anakin.bluefish.se
> or perhaps it was created when the 'SM Package Loader' was
> installed?  I don't know. Maybe it is the result of my request to
> 'update map from the net'?

I think this is the Squeakmap data itself. Perhaps the logs are being
written for diagnostic reasons; I don't know.

> *  How come some of the packages don't have information in the
> upper right pane?

Because when they were registered, no categories were entered (the
upper right pane lists categories for the selected package).

> Fine.  Now I'm ready to try this puppy out.  I chose 'Win32 Native
> Fonts (1.0)' and selected 'install'.  Well, whatever it did, it was
> fast.  The item has disappeared from the list.  I think some
> bio-feedback would be good here.

That's a good suggestion. I think the default view is of things that
you haven't installed yet (or things that are new).

> OK, I searched my disk and found the Win32NativeFonts.zip file is
> now in my 'sm' directory.  Opening the archive, I see many files
> inside.  I can only presume that the 'SM Package Loader' downloaded
> the archive, but then didn't know how to 'install' it.  Is this a
> bug???  Should the 'SM Package Loader' have tried to file in the
> contents of the archive?

No, this is the responsibility of the packager. The .sar (Squeak
Archive) format that I came up with is a Zip file with two magically
named files: 'install/preamble' and 'install/postscript'. These are
both filed in; typically the preamble will load change sets from the
zip, and the postscript will open up windows, help, etc.

With an arbitrary zip, there are no such guidelines. With .cs or
.cs.gz or .st or .st.gz files, we know what to do and file them in.

> The SMSqueakMapBrowser has a class comment (Hurrah!).  In the
> comment I find: "SMSqueakMapBrowser open", which is great, but
> don't you think it should be a URL?  Maybe I'm getting too used to
> point & click technology.

I think that it's a good idea to put instructions and handy
invocations into the Squeakmap descriptions so that people will see
what to do after they install. Or even better, include a readme in a
.sar file and have the postscript pop it up in a Workspace or
FileBrowser. In the readme, we can have live links.

> * One thing that is missing from SqueakMap is a 'ReadMe' after
> something gets loaded.  In the case of the Refactory Browser, I
> expected a window to pop up and give me some basic instructions on
> what to do next.  Perhaps this could be improved upon.

Again, this is something that should be standard in a package. There's
even support in ChangeSets (via the postscript) to do such things.

> Thanks for the nice tools Göran & Daniel!  I hope this e-mail will
> help you with your feature.

Thanks for the feedback, Chris!
--
Ned Konz