A refactoring of SM?

danielv at netvision.net.il danielv at netvision.net.il
Fri Oct 25 14:43:24 UTC 2002

I've been thinking about your suggestion to add another option for
downloading packages and opening the FileContentsBrowser on them.

This sounds like a great idea, since this will allow people to decide if
they want the changes applied. Especially useful for someone that wants
to decide whether to upgrade an image that's grown dear to him...

Anyhow, I've started thinking about where this should hook up to what we
have now, and it doesn't belong inside SqueakMap, because the model
shouldn't know GUI.

And it shouldn't be part of SMLoader/Browser, because this requires
access to the internal stuff the Installers do.

This is starting to make me think that maybe the Installers, and other
tools for handling code should be separate packages, registering
themselves with SqueakMap. Exactly how they should hook up, and what
other sorts of tools would be useful? I don't know, it's still just an
idea...

Daniel Vainsencher