The Future of Dynapad (survey!)

Nevin Pratt nevin at smalltalkpro.com
Mon Oct 28 02:07:36 UTC 2002

Here's an update to my (bottom) post on my Squeak on Zaurus SL-5500:

The 'zapmd' daemon (power management) for X11 conflicts with the Qtopia
power manager.  The only solution I have found is to disable the 'zapmd' daemon.

***************
Using a terminal:

cd /usr/local/Xredir/etc/rc.d/init.d

Now edit the zapmd script.  Comment out the line that launches the
daemon (it's the only executable line in the file).
***************

Of course, now I have the problem of no way to enter suspend mode while running X11/Squeak.

I played a bit more with the dynapad image.  I quite like it.  One
problem I have, though, is that an attempt to bring up the "todo" list
causes a DNU exception.  I can't tell what the message is that is not
understood, because of the screen size, plus I can't bring up the
debugger in that image.

Either of the above issues (the DNU with "todo", or the suspend issue)
will keep me from using Squeak as the PDA.  But it looks tantalizingly
close.

To solve the suspend problem, I can run "apm -s" from an Xterm, and the
Zaurus will go to sleep.  I can then wake it up via the normal power
button, but the Xterm that "apm" was run from is hung (even if I do it
as "apm -s &").  I thought about writing a quick "Suspend" button from
Squeak that would just kick off apm that way, but the OSProcess stuff
isn't in that image.

Anyway, it looks tantalizingly close to useful *as* the primary PDA
environment.  But not quite.

Nevin