Squeak MOO

Eric Scharff Eric.Scharff at Colorado.EDU
Mon Oct 28 05:41:03 UTC 2002

I have vague memories of someone doing a MOO project in Squeak, but the
only match I could find in the Swiki was to SIMS, which seems to be more
of a human simulation framework than a classic "telnet-based text-based
client-server end-users-can-remotely-script-new-objects" MOO.  Does such a
thing exist currently in Squeak?

The reason I ask is because I'm toying with end-user world creation, and
I'm looking for examples.  Wonderland seems to be one of the best
within-squeak examples.

I apologize for the vagueness of the request, but it is hard to find quite
the right words to describe what I'm after.  The key goals seem to be a
shared virtual "world" emphasizing the end-user creation and modification
of that world.  For those of you unfamiliar with MOOs, think about Ultima
Online or EverQuest but with considerable more control by the players over
the dynamics of the world.

I'm somewhat familiar with the research literature, but what I'm really
after is architectural inspiration.  Research reports tend to be good
sociologically about how people use online worlds, but never talk about
(important) implementation details or end-user-language-design issues.  I
have some ideas about architectures, but want to be serious about
scalability and extensibility from the ground up (really large worlds,
potentially large numbers of users, extremely expressive but still easy to
learn and fast modification system, etc.)  I'm looking for existing
architectures to steal, erm, I mean be inspired by. :)

-Eric