Envy or Store or what?

Göran Hultgren goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Mon Oct 28 19:37:34 UTC 2002

Hi Nevin!

Quoting Nevin Pratt <nevin at smalltalkpro.com>:
> IBM VisualAge has Envy (and so does VW from 5i.1 and earlier).
> VW has Store.
>
> What's the best approach for similar functionality for Squeak?

Well, currently I would say DVS - without actually having tried it myself! :-)

Avi is doing a good job moving it forward, it has a nifty architecture, people
are using it actively, it is being integrated a bit into SqueakMap, it can use
CVS as a backend but AFAIK is not limited to. But it makes good sense. (Even
though a nice conflict resolution tool inside Squeak would be a nice addition).

And if I can get my butt in gear and finish sqcvs, DVC could even communicate
directly with the CVS server instead of going the route through the filesystem
and external CVS executable.

regards, Göran

PS. Joseph Pelrine's Ginzu was an Envy clone (kind of I think) that at least ran
in Squeak but I am uncertain of its current status. I think Joseph is active in
the Smallscript community now. DS

Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
GSM: +46 70 3933950, http://www.bluefish.se
\"Department of Redundancy department.\" -- ThinkGeek