Envy or Store or what?

Travis Griggs tgriggs at keyww.com
Tue Oct 29 16:29:01 UTC 2002

First of all, let me apologize for the tone of yesterday's message. Avi
and Goran (and others) have been working hard to make the simplest thing
that could possibly work, work. And my message would probably seem to
say "screw the work you're doing". And that was not my intent, and I
apologize for sending such a negative vibe.

Cees de Groot wrote:
> Travis Griggs <tgriggs at keyww.com> said:
>  >This (to me) is a huge tragedy. I'm a bit more guarded about Store than
>  >you (as a hardcore user); I'd say Store is in the process of becoming
>  >cool.
>
> Why am I not hardcore? My company depends on it - is that hardcore
> enough? ;-)

Sorry Cees, I wasn't trying to imply that you weren't hardcore, your
evaluation of Store is as every bit valid as mine is.

> Coming from where I came - Java, CVS - StORE is very cool.
>
>  >Bottom line, why not just target the
>  >Squeak stuff at a PostgreSQL database.
>
> That'd be nice. However, Cincom didn't exactly go through great lengths to
> make StORE interoperable: the code is closed, the database dictionary is
> undocumented, and there's no apparent process to change StORE; everything
> is heavily dependent on VW's concepts (packages, namespaces) which are
> quite like, but probably completely incompatible with, Squeak's ideas on
> these topics.

Now this seems a bit unfair. I have heard pleas at various times from
various Cincom employees to at least consider Store, or something close
to it, for other Smalltalks. Moreover, I know that there is no one
single person sitting there saying "no". The database dictionaries are
as documented as anything in Squeak (i.e. via the code itself). As for
packages, namespaces, I dunno.

> Unless StORE gets open sourced or there is a similar agreement that puts
> both
> 'players' (Cincom, the Squeak community) on a level field, I think it's a
> tempting, but bad, idea.

You may be right.

--
Travis Griggs