[OT] Inquiring Minds want to know WAS: Re: Envy or Store or what?

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Wed Oct 30 07:22:10 UTC 2002

Hi everybody!

David Farber <dfarber at numenor.com> wrote:

> That's funny, because seeing it at the end of Göran's postscripts always made me think that someone else had written the postscript--someone whose initials were 'DS'.

Yes, that's ironical. Not until Patrik explained that it means "den
samme" did I vaguely remember this.
It has sort of always been a habit to put it in there. The point of it
is that since a PS appears below the signing this, as Patrik already
explained, clarifies that the PS was written by the same person.

Another thing - what kind of mailinglist greetings do you use? Dan uses
the "Hi folks!" greeting which is neutral in gender etc. I often like to
write "Hi guys!" but somehow (even if it isn't gender specific in speech
nowadays - I have been told) in writing it does seem to imply males to
me. Or does it? Would it be "kosher" to use that?

As a homebrewed variant I have been using "Hi all!" but it limps a bit
(might be a Swedish saying). :-)

Anyway, I did some searches on Google groups regarding the PS/DS thing,
this is a bit interesting.
For obvious reasons it seems only Swedes use the DS thing. :-) But hey,
I am trying to start a trend here!
But when adding a PSS (or a PPS - both variants occur) we also seem to
end that with a corresponding DSS or DDS - and I have no idea what that
should mean - perhaps it just "looks cool".

After checking around it also seems that most people think it should be
"PPS" as in "post post scriptum". But somewhere I saw that it could mean
"post scriptum secundum". He.

regards, Göran