Newbie questions about Squeak Documentation and Morphic

Eric Merritt cyberlync at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 31 18:32:17 UTC 2002

Hello All,

 To begin with, if this is not the correct list to
post to for these kind of questions please direct me
to the correct list. With that out of the way, on to
my questions and comments.

 I have recently (within the last few days) discovered
SmallTalk and Squeak in general. Oh, I have heard
about SmallTalk in the past and even Squeak but I
never picked it up for a number of reasons. In any
case, I have been looking for a good productive cross
platform language that has excellent support of a GUI
interface. These criteria made finally me stop and
look at both SmallTalk and Squeak in particular. I am
glad I did. After reading some of the docs and playing
around with the environment I already like it allot.
In fact the code browser reminds me a whole lot of
VisualAge for Java, one of my favorite IDEs. Of
course, Now I found out that why VisualAge for Java
resembles Squeak and other SmallTalk environments, I
assume lol.

 Ok so now I am all hyped up ready to write some code
and get a feel for the environment, particularly
Morphic which is what drew me here in the first place.
Alas this is where I fall flat on my face. There are a
few very simple tutorials out there, but there doesn't
seem to be any comprehensive in depth material. In
fact, I can't even find any class descriptions. I've
tried looking at the source, but at this point, thats
not real helpful.

Is there some information out there I am missing? How
do you go about learning this thing from scratch.
Maybe I have just been spoiled by the amount of
documentation out there for Java and C++, but it still
seams to me that there must be some method for
learning this thing, otherwise there would be know one
using it.

So if you guys have suggestions I would love to hear
them.

Thanks,
Eric