Is Squeak usable on Sharp Zaurus SL-5X00

Tommy Thorn squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Thu Oct 3 07:48:31 UTC 2002

Andy Stoffel wrote:

>Once I figured out that when it started up the first time it
>was asking me to calibrate it by touching some arrow-looking
>objects on the screen I was ok.... :-). This is going to be
>fun:-)..... especially if the networking works (and I can get
>a wireless card working with it :-))

My wireless (SMC) card works fine, although it burns power like there
was no tomorrow. If you configure it from Qtopia before quitting Qtopia
and starting Squeak, then I'm pretty sure it should work.

>I DID get the following error messages when I exited:
>
>(!) DirectFB/Keyboard: TIOCSCTTY failed !
>	--> operation not permitted
>
>(!) `/usr/local/share/directfb/cursor.dat` could not be opened!
>	--> No such file or directory
>
>but I have no idea what that means at this point.....

I recall seeing those, but AFAIR they are harmless.

>Thanks for all you've done :-).

Thank Lee, all I did was hack in support for the Zaurus touchpad (which
is different, but not much, from the iPaq one) and compile it all.

I'm very grateful to Lee for his work, but if I get back to hacking on
this I would basically start over using the FB patch that has been
floating around. DirectFB IMHO creates as many problems as it solves. If
someone else feels like tackling the task it might get done sooner :-(

Cheers,

  Tommy