Components for Squeak?

squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Thu Oct 3 11:17:00 UTC 2002

Hi!

Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 October 2002 05:46 pm, Aaron J Reichow wrote:
> > How can we make things more pluggable? Modules don't seem the
> > answer- I've been told that modules must hold at least an entire
> > class, you could just have a new version of a method (ala

Hmmm, I haven't checked but I don't think a Module really needs to hold
an entire class.
By this I mean that a Module should be able to be empty and then contain
a DeltaModule which is exactly what you want - an incremental change to
another Module (for example a changed method).

> > "Applications" [eq. to squeak modules] in IBM VisualAge Smalltalk).
> >  As an aside: Is this really the case?  Would it not be possible to
> > create a module, for example, that simply added a new category onto
> > Object that provided a component protocol?
>
> I believe you can do this by making a DeltaModule.

Yes. The question is if a DeltaModule can act as a "module on it's own"
or need to be included as a submodule to an "ordinary" Module - which is
the most common use. I am not sure, but intuitively it should be able to
be on it's own.

regards, Göran