Components for Squeak?

squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Fri Oct 4 08:29:13 UTC 2002

Hi Aaron.

Aaron J Reichow <reic0024 at d.umn.edu> wrote:
> Hola kids,
> How can we make things more pluggable? Modules don't seem the answer- I've
> been told that modules must hold at least an entire class,
Actually you can hold just a DeltaModule with a modified method for a
Class that's in another module. That's the class extension case use of a
delta module.

OTOH, you don't need any fancy notion of modules to do this - Avi Bryant
has published on this list a file out tool that files out a system
category + all method categories named like the System category. This
means that all you have to do is exactly what you say - put a new
category into Object like "*Sound-Scores" (the * says it's a class
extension). Put you sound related methods into it. Filing out
Sound-Scores with Avi's tool will now file out both the native classes
and Object's.