[BUG] Problem with renaming classes

Avi Bryant squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Wed Oct 9 18:58:06 UTC 2002

On 9 Oct 2002, Ken Causey wrote:

> Thank you very much for your response.  I'm currently managing to "work
> around" the issue by using the DVS functionality to produce .st files
> which I file into CVS.  I suspect that this is effectively equivalent to
> using changesets without history.  Hmm, that makes me second think using
> DVS...  Guess I need to decide how important history in the image vs.
> history in CVS is to me.

For what it's worth, I've found the tradeoff of CVS to work pretty well -
generally if I'm only reverting a single method, I'm reverting it to a
very recent version, and the image history will still have at least
everything since the last cvs update.  If I'm going back further than
that, I usually want to revert the whole project, which CVS does much
better.

I also find the diff output from CVS to be useful for seeing related
changes all at once:  it's very easy to tell what's going on in, for
example,
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/seaside/aubergines/seaside/Kernel.st.diff?r1=1.10&r2=1.11

The only way to do this with changesets is to start a new one for each set
of changes, which gets cumbersome to manage.

YMMV, of course.
Cheers,
Avi