is Missing multiple inheritance in sqeak a drawback ?

Aaron J Reichow squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Fri Oct 11 18:57:00 UTC 2002

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Hans Beck wrote:

> So because I'm not a theoretican for computer languages but  I suppose
> there are a lot very good guys on this list, I would ask the community,
> how far multiple inheritance is really needed, or is it bad or what ever
> ? (Looking from a more or less theoretical viewpoint of object oriented
> concepts ) ?

>From a theoretical standpoint, MI could add convenience and logical sense
to certain models/designs.  In real life, actual practical use of it is
fairly rare, because the real world rarely works out as well as it does on
paper.  Squeak doesn't need it, IMO.  Even when I've done projects in
languages which support it (C++, Python), I've almost never used it.
Other people prolly use it more than I, but eh.

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
  "A weed is just a plant whose virtures have not
                     yet been discovered."            :: r. w. emerson