Dynamic open menus (was: Re: A summary of a few recent projects)

squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Sun Oct 13 19:44:37 UTC 2002

Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 13 October 2002 02:52 am, Stephane Ducasse wrote:
> > Obviously really few people are using 3.3
> > really few harvesting is done
>
> Unfortunately, Squeak Central is using 3.3, and so recent bug fixes
> have been applied *only* to 3.3. It seems to be the other way around:
> harvesting is being applied to 3.3, with 3.2 being an afterthought.
Yes and that's the natural extension of how this community has always
worked - one development version, others are (almost) dead.

There might be better ways to proceed at this point, though. I think the
most important dimension of freedom we need to add at this point is to
have a package loader in 3.2. This will allow people to load a Squeak
platform, and unto that, load packages by anyone.

This makes it feasible to contribute fixes to packages independently of
the main image. This makes independent projects feasible, and then
carving up the image into packages will become much more reasonable.

> Weren't some of the recent updates to 3.3 also appropriate for 3.2?
Ever since Henrik stopped working on modules, I've been waiting to see
any SqC updates on modules, showing that someone is taking
responsibility for this. IIRC, there have been none.

That's the major difference between 3.3a and 3.2 - modules. The second
thing this means is that the large majority of fixes to 3.3a should be
applicable to 3.2 - at a cost.

> My question to the list about putting these updates into 3.2 wasn't
> answered.
Scott has been releasing some of them in 3.2, but it's understandable
why he wouldn't do this for all fixes considering this SqC's current
maintainership model.

Which only begs the question, whether there is a different practical
one.

Daniel Vainsencher