moving about

squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Tue Oct 15 16:36:31 UTC 2002

Just some quick answers:

Ramiro Diaz Trepat <ramiro at novamens.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> =09I've been flirting now and then with Squeak, but I'm still a newbie.
> Right now, I am working on a silly little project of mine, and I have=20
> runned into some problems which I'd like to tell you and see if anyone=20
> can give me a hint on them.
> =09
> =09First: Save Project / Load Project on different computers rarely
> =09=09worked for me.
> =09=09I want to work on my project on 2 different computers and,=20
> =09=09right now, if I "save project" on my notebook, when I try to
> =09=09load it up (even on a fresh Squeak image) I get a pink error
> =09=09window, "MessageNotUnderstood: methodsFor:stamp:".
> =09=09I don't know what to do, right now I'm obviously working on=20
> =09=09my notebook only.  I am attaching my silly automaton project

Try learning ChangeSets - not that Projects don't work of course, but
ChangeSets are very useful in other respects.
The above error has probably something to do with renamed classes IIRC.
Try "trim history" in a change sorter for your current changeset, it
might fix it I think.

> =09=09just in case there's anyone willing to try to load it.
> =09=09By the way, what is the best way to work on a project with
> =09=09multiple people writing code ?  What is the version control
> =09=09system recommended form team development ?

Well, there are a few approaches available and one is DVS which Avi
Bryant recently has made.
I haven't looked into it but it let's you use CVS as a source
repository, similar to CVSTProj I believe.

Otherwise you can always throw changesets around - it works kindof, at
least if you are not too many developers and can come up with some
simple rules.

> =09Second: I find the debugger quite awkward to use, this may be due
> =09=09to my "newbieness".  Can I set breakpoints ?  Sometimes I

Not by clicking a button (I wonder why we haven't added that) but you
can always add: self halt
...somewhere in the code and that will act as a breakpoint. Also note
that you can change the methods in the debugger and save it with alt-s
so you can add breakpoints using "self halt" and then restarting the
code etc.

> =09=09cannot control execution, I click on the "through" button, which
> =09=09I thought that would step on every step, not skipping any
> =09=09message, and immediately I get same error message that got
> =09=09me into debugging in the first place.  I end up putting a lot

Funny enough I am not sure how "through" works... He.

> =09=09of Transcript show: messages everywhere, I hate that.
> =09Third: persistence, Is there any reliable, performing, open source=20
> =09=09project to solve this crucial matter ?  What does everyone
> =09=09involved in a production project with squeak use ?
> =09=09Please don't point me to the PostgreSQL drivers, I hope I
> =09=09can find object persistence, with OQL and all.

Take a look at Magma. It seems to be very promising. And ImageSegments
are pretty useful and fast for simple persistence, giving you a
"snapshot" mechanism for objects - I have used it a lot in my apps.

> =09Thank you very much for your time.

No problem. Note: Your email was a tad large for the list - remember
that some may be on a modem.
Next time, put the file on a Swiki somewhere and link it. Or similar.

regards, Göran