More Virus warnings...

John Hinsley squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Wed Oct 16 20:03:29 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 16 October 2002 4:58 pm, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
> Hi Michael and all!
>
> Michael Rueger <m.rueger at acm.org> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > this virus is clever. I just got an email by John Hinsley @bluefish.s=
> > (!) with what looked like a project he sent around. Turned out to be =
> > snippet of old mail with the virus attachment.
> > The mail came through a relay in Dublin (it seems).
>
> Yes, Bob Arning and I also got it. I and Jonas have looked over our
> Linux server and my Linux workstation just in case but as far as we can
> tell we are clean (as we thought).
>
> But I am still puzzled over the @bluefish.se ...

This looks like an IE exploit wandering madly through someone's mailbox a=
nd=20
gluing together more or less plausible stuff: of course, I never sent the=
=20
project around (think of the bandwidth!) but stuffed it on BSS (where, AF=
AIK,=20
it still remains).

I don't use Windows, G=F6ran doesn't use Windows, Bob (who got it earlier=
)=20
doesn't use Windows, so it is likely that someone on the list is infected=
 (or=20
maybe something is trawling through the digest on Yahoo?).=20

The solution is obvious enough: everyone on the list using Windows should=
=20
switch to Mozilla ;-) Seriously, though, with the latest release it's=20
actually a better browser, and does not have 10+ unpatched security holes=
!

Cheers

John