Modules (was Re: Squeak Starter) (PIE)

Daniel Joyce squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Thu Oct 17 00:31:59 UTC 2002

> Since 3.2 will be the stable release for quite some time this is good
> to hear. I still have to look into DVS.
>
> A sidenote: One reason for the Modules work being so... uncoordinated
> is the lack of a good "CM" tool like CVS or similar. Would you say (I
> trust your word) that DVS is the best thing going in this respect for
> Squeak currently? If that is the case, then perhaps we should
> consider using it for all the Modules-related cooperative work that
> needs to be done in 3.3. Currently there are a whole slew of .cses
> floating around that needs to be integrated etc. The lack of
> something CVS-ish (and I am talking about the very simple
> update/commit-cycle) is IMHO a big hurdle for real cooperative
> development in the Squeak image and the Modules area is a good
> example where we really need this.
>
> Even more on the side:
> Of course what I REALLY would want is an interactive update/resolve
> conflicts/commit-cycle using DeltaModules in 3.3 thus creating the
> CVS-optimistic-concurrency model of development with intelligent
> conflict resolution tools instead of simple "oops, those lines are
> too close"-logic. And then coupled with a bit of realtime feedback
> inside the browsers on who is doing what and where and you have my
> wet dream of a CM system...

They had this in 1980 at PARC, it was called PIE....

Reading the PIE paper at
http://www.dolphinharbor.org/dh/smalltalk/documents/ made me realize
how applicable the concept is to Modules, Sand Boxing, Name spaces, and
other goodies...

> http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~schaerli/research/index.htm

See Stephen's work on Traits, and compare to the ideas in Modules,
NameSpaces, and PIE.

> http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~schaerli/research/index.htm

They all intererlate.

Once again, PARC was ahead of the curve. Should I explain further?

I've had PIE, Traits, and NameSpaces boiling around in my head for a
week now, and how each could be used to...

Allow modules
Allow namespaces
Allow sandboxing ( preventing DL'd code from doing nastyness, a
Jail/Chroot environment for Squeak Code )
Allow a cool NameSpace system...

And Traits, well, Traits kick butt....

-Daniel

These issues all interrelate...