[ANN] DVS rev. 1.28

squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Fri Oct 18 12:55:11 UTC 2002

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
> Of course DVS and SqueakMap could surely be tied together in interesting
> ways... For example - DVS could subclass SMInstaller (mimicking
> SMDefaultInstaller) and thus take care of installation/upgrades of
> packages that have been filed out using DVS. Just one simple problem -
> currently the installers detect if they can handle the download filename
> and the default installer gets triggered for .cs.gz, .cs, .st and
> .st.gz. Another extension perhaps for DVS fileouts?

I don't know, I'd need to use those parts of DVS more before I have an
opinion.

> > 4. The PackagePanel seems to get it's list from the PackageInfo
> > subclasses. Shouldn't it actually use all instances, for packages that
> > don't define a custom subclass?
>
> Eh, AFAICT PackageInfo is not a "real class" - it's a "hack" so that you
> can include data about the "package" by simply putting such a class in
> your class category. Why am I answering this, Avi knows of course much
> better... But that was how I understood his post about it.

IIUC, the pattern is as you describe, but defining the Info class is
optional. So you should be able to see even packages that don't define
such a class. This is a nuance I'd be glad if Avi could elucidate...

> regards, Göran

Daniel Vainsencher