DeltaModules vs Envy/Ginsu Class Extensions (was Re: Squeak Starter)

Stephen Pair squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Wed Oct 23 18:45:24 UTC 2002

G=F6ran,

> 1. For those using DVS and less frequent releases that are
> full and don't use update streams we could add the 1-6 level=20
> classification as an attribute of the version. (this would=20
> still let people use whatever version numbering scheme they=20
> like, hmmm - have to take a look at Stephens code for that=20
> would be a shame if it got wasted)

Are you referring to VersionNumber and VersionHistory on:
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2511 ?

If so, then yes, please, please use it.  It has some really nice
properties for building version trees.  It can automatically generate
new version numbers, tell you the common base version of any two
versions, answer questions about whether two versions are in the same
branch, etc.  It's also designed such that VersionNumber's printString
is really simple (i.e. "1.2.1") and contain all the information needed
infer relationships (i.e. '1.2' asVersionNumber < '1.2.1'
asVersionNumber).  Another benefit is that this allows a version history
to be built from a simple list of file names where the file names
contain the version number (i.e. "packageXYZ-1.3.tar.gz").

It's meant to be a completely automatic version numbering scheme...one
might wish to have a "version number" and a "version description" (with
the latter giving the developer the opportunity to provide a more
descripting version name).

- Stephen=20