[ANN] New Version of VI4 (block closures) (macintosh version)

John M McIntosh squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Wed Oct 23 22:59:42 UTC 2002

Alright I've built a macintosh os-x carbon version for os-x.

'53556485 bytecodes/sec; 2604000 sends/sec'

versus 3.2.8b4 which gives...
'51446945' bytecodes/sec; 1785501 sends/sec'

Oh, and there is something wrong with the 3.2.8b8, so I'll be posting a
3.2.8b9 shortly

I'll post later tonight once I confirm everything mostly works and see
if GCC 3.1 makes better code than 2.95

On Tuesday, October 22, 2002, at 10:41  PM, Anthony Hannan wrote:

> Hello Squeakers,
>
> I'm pleased to announce that I'm finally finished with the latest
> version of VI4.  You can get it from its usual place at
> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/VI4.  It has been rewritten and
> cleaned up and should be very stable.  Once other image format changes
> are incorporated (if any) and once it is approved for a future Jitter,
> it should be ready for prime time.
>
> The Interpreter still operates directly on the process stack object,
> but
> hooks have been provided so the process stack can be internalized by
> the
> VM if desired.  See the aboutVI4 method comment for more details.
>
> 0 tinyBenchmarks reports a 30% increase in bytecode speed and a 75%
> increase in send speed.
>
> Enjoy!
> Anthony

===