The Future of Dynapad (survey!)

Jason Dufair squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Thu Oct 24 15:35:14 UTC 2002

Aaron J Reichow wrote:

>Dynapad Survey
>Q1. Do you use Dynapad now?  Are you condiering using it in the future?
>If so, in what capacity?

Not currently using.  Don't have a PDA that runs Squeak at the moment.
 Currently oogling various WinCE machines then weeping when looking at
bank account.

>Dynapad is currently based on the 2.8 image.  This was done for the sake
>of performance- trimmed down 3.0 and 3.2 images felt qualitatively slower,
>more sluggish, than 2.8 images on iPAQ-class hardware.  However, some
>people believe that 3.2's performance is adequate.
>
>There are benefits to using a 3.2-based image, including more
>compatability with the most current going-ons of the Squeak world.
>
>Q2. Would you prefer that Dynapad moved to a Squeak 3.2-based image, or
>stick with the 2.8-based image?

3.2 is probably a good idea, in order to keep up to date.  Performance
can always be improved with tweaking.

>There has been talk of changing the name of the project. Pick the name you
>prefer from the list below, or answer with whatever other ideas you may
>have.
>
>* MethodPad
>* Dynapad
>* SPE (Squeak PDA Environment)

Dynapad

>Q3.

>While being everything to everyone is impossible, Dynapad strives to be an
>operating environment that is very useful for the widest array of users,
>through being user friendly, developer friendly, and very customizable.
>
>What would you like out of a PDA? Describe, in as much detail as possible,
>the perfect PDA. What do current and past PDA systems do well today?
>(Newton OS, GEOS, Magic Cap, Palm OS, PocketPC, EPOC32)

Emulate the Newton as much as possible.  La Newton est Mort.  Vive La
Newton.  Have the same design goals, but implement them in Squeak.  The
only problem I ever had with the Newt was the size.  And it's absolutely
horrendous data synchronization abitilies.

>Q5. What do you dislike about current PDA offerings?

The Palm is nice in its simplicity.  It really doesn't have a lot of
bloat and I love that about it.  No creeping featuritis.  The screen
could be a bit bigger.  I think the WinCE boxes have hit the sweet spot
with regards to size.

>Q6. Do you use a PDA now? If so, what is the model? (the more specific,
>the better) What OS do you run on it? (if not what it comes with out of
>the box)

Palm IIIc - OS 3.5
- Built-in Address Book
- DateBk4 (datebook enhancement)
- BalanceLog (food tracking/exercise tracking/diet management)
- Built-in Todo list
- FireViewer (image viewer)
- Thought Manager (outlining program) - I use it in place of the notepad
- AvantGo (offline web browser)
- Pocket Quicken
- Pocket Smalltalk (not on it, technically)
- Strip (strong crypto for storing logins/passwords)
- Built-in Calculator
- LispMe (scheme interpreter)
- Various games (tetris, backgammon, chess, klondike, space trader, frogger)
- DrawIt (paint program)
- Spanish-English translator
- Guitar stuff (tuning program, chord finder)

I don't do email on my Palm but would like to.

>Q7. Other than being very unfinished, what are your chief complaints of
>Dynapad and its vision?

>What are the applications you would really like to see for Dynapad in the
>future.  This is excepting the applications currently done or being
>actively worked on, including: PIM apps (both traditional, as well as a
>more free-form and hyperlinked system), Web browser (scamper), Email
>client (Celeste), simple calulator, irc client, and graph plotter.
>
>Ideas include: a web service data extractor (like Watson or Sherlock 3),
>word processor, spreadsheet, or HyperCard-like StackMorph creator.

Equivalent of all the above.  No office apps.  I'll use a computer for
those.  Don't really care about IRC.  IRC is a drug and I'm on the wagon :-)

>Q8. Ordered by most important down, what are the apps you would like to
>see running on Dynapad?

See order of apps above.

>Q9. Should MinneStore or Magma be the preferred data storage system?

Something as useful and dynamic as Newton soups.

Good luck, Rev!  I would love to work on Dynapad at some point.  Once I
finish Dragonfly (media center), I'll see if I can eke out some time to
help with it.

Jason Dufair - jase at dufair.org
http://www.dufair.org/
"Our task must be to free ourselves...
by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures
and the whole of nature and its beauty."
-- Albert Einstein