The Future of Dynapad (survey!)

Aaron J Reichow squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Thu Oct 24 15:41:02 UTC 2002

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Norton, Chris wrote:

> I think the kind of research you're doing is great, but frankly I'm not a
> PDA user yet -- the screens are too small and the cost is too high (for $500
> I can get a whole desktop machine, for example).

The iPAQ I bought from Dynapad development cost $150, including a
CompactFlash sleeve.  Total cost was about $200, though, as I also
purchased a 128 MB CF card, for MP3s. $150 isn't just pocket change, but
it's possible to get a Squeak-capable machine for almost as cheap as any
other PDA.

> In the interest of getting more help on your project, why don't you create a
> PDAMorph that emulates your PDA?  Then all of us can run what you're running
> on our desktops.  I imagine that you'll get more help with your stuff if
> more people start looking at it.  :-)

Eventually, everything in Dynapad worth exporting (e.g., we don't want to
file out changesets that change window management bound for someone's
desktop image) will be reduced to changesets for installation in a desktop
image.  But, aside that, you can still run the Dynapad image using the
regular VM on your desktop.  That is how I develop Dynapad, within itself
on a desktop or PDA.

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
"the only difference it makes if some dust on the clay"  :: atmosphere