Loader UI and help text ( Was: Re: SqueakMap Package Loader )

squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Fri Oct 25 13:53:36 UTC 2002

Brent Vukmer <bvukmer at blackboard.com> wrote:
> Hey Daniel.  I think the help text should mention that if you load the
> most current version of a package, that the package will disappear from
> the list.
Please look at the new version and let me know if you agree the new menu
style + help solve the problem.

> Also, a clickable URL to the SM swiki page might be helpful at the end.
Hmm, that's probably a good idea, Doug also mentioned that. I'll have a
look.

> I think the Loader UI pretty close to simple enough.  I wonder whether
> the right-hand pane ( License/Maturity Level/ Squeak Versions ) is
> necessary.
> I think you could just make the Loader a two-pane window, with the
> detailed package info in the right-hand pane.
>
> Two more ideas that might or might not increase usability:
>
> 1) Color-code the package names in the left-hand pane, by maturity level
> ( for example, Stable = Green, Bleeding Edge = Red )
> That way, without adding any sort-by-maturity-level functionality, I
> could see at a glance which installs might be risky / safe / whatever.
Two problems -
1. PluggableListMorphs don't support being interestingly colored - a
real pity, this would be useful in many contexts. Someone recently
posted an enhancement that does this, I really would like for it to be
integrated.
2. And what if someone else cares about another category type more than
risk? This is the reason I'm leaving the category list pane for now. I'm
also curious to see how the categories evolve, and don't want to hide
them.

> 2)  if you want to keep the current right-hand pane information, put it
> into a Balloon
I think it is possible to overuse balloons. But we'll see, maybe I get
convinced over time.

> You guys ROCK.  I am really excited about this set of tools.
Thanks.

If you want the tools to be more useful, ask the maintainers of your
favorite packages to put them up. Put your own code up there. Let us
know what sucks about providing packages, not just about getting them.

Daniel Vainsencher