A refactoring of SM?

Les Tyrrell squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Fri Oct 25 16:29:50 UTC 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: <danielv at netvision.net.il>
To: <goran.hultgren at bluefish.se>
Cc: <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
Sent: Friday, October 25, 2002 9:43 AM
Subject: A refactoring of SM?

> I've been thinking about your suggestion to add another option for
> downloading packages and opening the FileContentsBrowser on them.
>
> This sounds like a great idea, since this will allow people to decide if
> they want the changes applied. Especially useful for someone that wants
> to decide whether to upgrade an image that's grown dear to him...

That is *exactly* the direction I took with Oasis- Bully!  The next steps
beyond that are to make it possible to load semantically complete class
libraries into separate regions, thus allowing the simultaneous use of
differing versions/implementations at once.  As in:

http://griffin.canis.uiuc.edu:8080/Oasis/Cross-Dialect+Loading

There is no need to have to choose one thing over another- have as many as
you want.  There is no reason this cannot be done.  There is no reason to be
constrained to the tyranny of the monolithic image.  There is no reason to
require a central, arbitrating authority deciding what goes in, and what
stays out... this is YOUR choice, and that of those offering workable
components.

- les