A refactoring of SM?

squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Fri Oct 25 23:21:27 UTC 2002

Les Tyrrell <tyrrell at canis.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>Even more useful would be to allow using the Refactory
> tools
> on these things ( I do this in Oasis, and that has proven very useful many
> times ).
This sounds like a good idea, but raises some semantic and
implementation questions - 1. When the RB analyzes things, some of the
analysis done is global. What would be the correct environment for this
analysis? The Squeak image which happens to be hosting the code? just
the code alone?
2. The PseudoClasses the FCB works on are not Classes, so they don't
inherit the RB extensions (not hard to fix, but the copy/paste solution
makes me look for another out)

> > If you're proposing (as I suspect) to make it possible to have
> > simultanous versions of the same code coexist actively in the image,
> > that is not what I'm proposing, I don't know how to implement this, and
> > honestly am not convinced it's worth the mental overhead from working in
> > such an environment.
>
> Fair enough!  This is definitely much more work to implement than using
> passive code.  However, I've been exploring this option for quite a long
> time and it does have enough going for it to at least keep me interested.
This is probably one of things I'll be convinced about only by a demo.
Coming to ESUG sometime soon? :-)

> gotta run,
Bye

> - les