[ANN] DVS rev. 1.34

Avi Bryant squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Sat Oct 26 01:15:29 UTC 2002

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002 danielv at netvision.net.il wrote:

> Hi.
> I've worked a bit with the new version lying in the background. When I
> started, I have one manager called * SM-Loader. Now I have two identical
> ones. How come?

Hmm, not sure what you mean.  Elaborate?

> How do you think DVS should relate to the FileContentsBrowser and to SM?
> I'm currently only using it to create my packages, since I'm not
> maintaining anything in CVS. So I just use a script to create a module
> on my code, fileout, version by rename, gzip and upload to ftp.
>
> When I want to compare what I've done in the last version (to write the
> changes log), I usually use the FCB. I just tried, and the browse
> changes option works pretty well, except it doesn't know what file to
> use, since I add a ".N", where N=version count to keep history.
>
> Hmm, maybe I should create an SMLoaderInfo class to keep track of this
> renaming?

Yes, that could work - SMLoaderInfo could keep a version counter, and
#externalName could be overriden to append the version number to the
package name.  Then you just have to say

SMLoaderInfo default nextVersion

just before you file out.  You could even use the normal fileOut button,
except that it won't zip it for you...

That's actually kinda cute, cause then if you want to revert/update to a
previous version, you can do

SMLoaderInfo default
  version: 42;
  manager fileIn.