SM Installers

Göran Hultgren squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Sun Oct 27 10:05:40 UTC 2002

Hi Avi and all!

Quoting Avi Bryant <avi at beta4.com>:
> Goran, Daniel,
>
> First of all, I'm having trouble with SM RC2 - I get an error when
> trying
> to gunzip it.

You do? Hmmm. I just pulled it down using Mozilla/Phoenix to my win98 box and
decompressed it using Squeak. Worked fine. Haven't trid gunzip though, could
there be a difference?!

> Secondly - I'm trying to figure out how to hook in an SMDVSInstaller.

Okidoki!

> The
> problem is with the #canInstall: mechanism.  I'd rather not use a
> special
> extension to mark DVS packages, since they are just normal fileOuts and
> should be installable even if you don't have DVS loaded.  Right now I
> have
> it checking the package description for any occurence of the string
> "DVS"
> (so people can write "in DVS format" or something in the description),
> but
> this seems a little clunky.  Suggestions?

Well, I am thinking if we shouldn't perhaps add some form of field for this -
"Package format: " and then have a dropdown menu for the different ones
supported. On the registration/update page we can also make the field heading
clickable for more info on it.

Or... eh. Why do I always keep forgetting Categories - that is what they are
for! We simply add a Category called "Package format" and then add categories
for those that we support. Then it is up to canInstall: to check for those. How
does that sound?

If we refrain from making it mandatory then it would still work as it does today
for the other formats that can rely on the extension. But if you use DVS then
you should be aware of that you need to add that category. Fair?

> Cheers,
> Avi

Just say the word and then I can add these categories for you. Or give you the
password to do it yourself. :-)

Cheers, Göran

Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
GSM: +46 70 3933950, http://www.bluefish.se
\"Department of Redundancy department.\" -- ThinkGeek