An uncomfortable question

squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Thu Oct 31 02:06:08 UTC 2002

I am working on a fairly large package for Squeak, and thought I would be
releasing it as modules.
I don't have any useful technical input on which modules system should be
implemented, but since things appear uncertain again I'd like to list my needs
for a module system.

I am working on a new version of BobsUI.  BobsUI is a more traditional set of
widgets to do business type programming in Squeak.

The prerequisites:
- Morphic
- Yaxo XML
- Morphic Wrappers

BobsUI modules:
- A delta module for some method additions.
- Runtime module
- Development module
- User created BobsUI modules

Morphic, Yaxo, and Morphic wrappers are packages that are prerequisites, and I
must assume that they will continue to be updated, independently of the BobsUI
package.  BobsUI itself is split in half, with a runtime side and a
development side.  I have always assumed that a mostly bare image would start,
and then loads the necessary modules.  So the difference between the
production side and the development side is how much gets loaded into the
image. Also any user of BobsUI would likely have to load in other modules,
such as for database access.

It isn't terribly complex, but I hope that whatever is chosen will be able to
handle these requirements.

Thanks,

Doug R.