An uncomfortable question

Diego Gomez Deck squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Thu Oct 31 09:43:25 UTC 2002

Hi Stef,

[snip]
>Image are cool for developping, I loved them, saving your objects for
>coffee breaks
>with the mouse on the right line of the debugger but not for
>deployement and source code management.

This is not the first time we discuss about this topic, but it's the first "public" time.

The image is great, the image is the environment where out objects live and evolve. The image is the place where we find emergence not planned.

The emergence is one of the most important features of our technology, just model the domain and you'll find a lot of behavior not planned. (and you will not realize of some emergence behavior because it works)

If you get the model running in an environment nothing guarantee that this model will work in the same way in another environment (There are a lot of ecology problems).

When you think in modules/packages/parcels/theNameYouLike you stop to think in an environment.

I'm not saying I have the solution, but (IMHO) create diferents environments for development and deployment are a bad idea.

>Stef

Cheers,

Diego Gomez Deck