An uncomfortable question

Stephen Pair squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Thu Oct 31 13:33:37 UTC 2002

Hi Andreas,

Well...considering that the distinction between development time and
runtime is a deliberately fuzzy concept in Smalltalk (or at least not a
concept enforced by the environment), I think Modules share some
similarities with DLLs.  Take the example where someone is running
Squeak as their operating system...forcing them to run different images
(because you haven't solved the modularity issues) is the equivalent of
having to dual boot your PC.  I don't like solutions that rely on having
multiple images available.

I wish we had DLL-hell in Squeak, but we aren't even that evolved.  What
we have now is Spaghetti-hell, which is even worse.  But, I think we can
come up with a solution that is much better than the DLL solution.

- Stephen