Squeak book !

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Tue Sep 3 13:30:51 UTC 2002

Hi all!

Stephan Rudlof <sr at evolgo.de> wrote:
> goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
>
> <snipped>
>
> > IMHO, anyone reading this and getting interested in Squeak webserving:
> > PWS is more or less obsolete code (as in "unmaintained" AFAICT). Use
> > Comanche instead which a lot of people use and which works very good
> > including being the base of Swiki.
>
> Thank you for the hint! I'm currently working at a client/server application
> and know *now*, that I shouldn't read the PWS code too seriously...

Indeed. If you want to build webapps with Squeak there are at least two
good ways to do it:

1. Seaside. See http://swiki.squeakfoundation.org/sea

Haven't used it myself but Avi Bryant can tell you more and it looks
good. Fairly conventional approach (at least compared to number 2
below).

2. HttpView. You can find the latest and greatest HttpView (since I
haven't packaged the last version separately yet) inside the latest
SqueakMap release:
>http://marvin.bluefish.se:8000/sm/package/4f0b9db6-8add-43aa-8d6b-53e6a0ea8442

SqueakMap (the webserver) is built with HttpView so it can of course be
examined as a sample app. HttpView is a rather different Squeak-centric
approach to "webapping" which is quite cool IMHO.

regards, Göran