Squeak chugging by on the Zaurus SL-5500

Tommy Thorn thorn at meko.dk
Tue Sep 3 22:30:40 UTC 2002

Konrad Hinsen wrote:

>The use is not quite evident. Shift+tap seems to do the middle mouse
>button, but I haven't found the equivalent of the right mouse button
>yet. Nor any way to get context-dependent menus or the ALT-keys, which
>means I can't execute commands (no "do it", "print it", "accept"
>etc.). There's more to explore!

I didn't even know about shift-tap.  Good catch.  Understand that we're
better off than most PDA users that haven't even got modifier keys.
 With dynapad you have access to all the menus via buttons on the interface.

However, it is my plan to make the keyboard more functional, eg. make
the control key work and perhaps remap right-shift to Alt, as well as
make use of the application buttons.

The touchpad filtering also isn't great.  Right now I filter so much
that the touchpad feel sluggish, while it still lets some noise through.
 More experimentation is needed.

As I mentioned, I'm not so impressed with DirectFB and I think ditching
it and going straight for the raw devices (eg, /dev/fb) would simplify
certain things.  I just haven't had time to work on that angle.

Finally, I've tried moving to the Ian's latest sources, but my first
attempt crashes and I haven't nailed it yet.

I left the somewhat messy sources in
http://not.meko.dk/Zaurus-Squeak-snapshot.tar.gz

Cheers,

  Tommy