Morphic Extreme

Marcel Weiher marcel at metaobject.com
Wed Sep 4 17:57:18 UTC 2002

On Wednesday, September 4, 2002, at 04:25  Uhr, Andreas Raab wrote:

> You absolutely could do that except that you'll have a bit of a problem
> when it comes to rotated/scaled objects. OpenGL hardware requires
> textures to be powers of two (which means that you'll waste tons of
> space if the object is 129x129) and while there's a specific extension
> of OpenGL to handle non power-of-two textures I believe that you can
> only use these for screen-aligned blits.

Hallo Andreas!

I haven't tried it in practice, but Apple says their
rectangular-texture extensions can be used for rotated images etc.
They had a rather impressive demo of a 50+ MB bitmap being rotated at
something like 20-30 frames/sec on ADC-TV.

> Someone *please* prove me wrong

Can't "prove" you wrong, because my practicaly experience in this is
tiny, but I think it should work...

Incidentally, thanks for the detailed explanation of external bitmaps,
I just haven't found the time to really get into it yet...

Viele Grüße aus Berlin,

Marcel

--
Marcel Weiher				Metaobject Software Technologies
marcel at metaobject.com		www.metaobject.com