SqueakMap (was Re: [ANN] Cash For Documentation project)

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Thu Sep 5 11:09:48 UTC 2002

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
> Hi!
>
> "PhiHo Hoang" <phiho.hoang at rogers.com> wrote:
> > Hi Goran,
> >
> > > full attention. It is the same thing with SqueakMap (though it is still
> > > just in beta) and that is why I am now putting my effort into building a
> > > nice morphic browser for it.
> >
> >     After that, would you consider a gnutella-like client to feed info to
> > the browser.
>
> Well, it's on the list.
>
> >     This way, you would relieve yourself the burden of processing all the
> > registrations.
>
> :-) The current constraint is that editing/registering is done at the
> master website.

Just so that there is no misunderstanding - *anyone* can register a
package and edit it on the master website.
There is no burden/bottleneck involved today.

To begin with the browser will only offer "read only" functions, but
that will still probably cover 95% of the use. Just look at apt in
Debian, everybody uses it all the time (readonle), but very few people
actually maintain the packages.

> >     Instead, owners of the packages will register/publish their own packages
> > through gnutella-like network.
> >
> >     Can we do SqueakMap gnutella-ly instead of napster-ly ?
>
> It's in the plan, but I will tackle it later. The idea with the current
> design is not only that it is very efficient but also simple.

In fact, you can already see that I was aiming for this a bit by using
UUIDs as ids for packages, categories etc.
They will be unique even though they are created in parallell on many
machines.

Finally, it will not be "gnutella" like because if I am not mistaken,
gnutella can not guarantee that you see "everything". I would instead
opt to have clients being able to send updates to the master. Much
simpler.

regards, Göran