making movies transparent

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Sep 5 17:59:36 UTC 2002

Someone last week mumbled something about transparent movies.

So I changed the mpeg plugin to do two things

a) fill in a Alpha channel value, versus 0.
b) An interface to supply a mapping table to map 0-255 to anything you
wish, IE blue screening. Tho running with a reversed mapping table is
kinda fun for a few minutes.

Why in the plugin?
Faster. We already stick 0 in the alphachannel, and we already clip
values at the YUV to RGB color space translation so having a different
mapping table comes at no additional computational cost.

I'll need some windows folk to recompile and test on the windows
platform, those folks should step forward. Also I've NOT changed any of
the MMX related code so I'm not sure, actually I've not even looked if
this change affects thing in that area.

But unless I want to curl up with a good squeak image, I'm not sure how
to make the movie display morphic actually deal with transparency. I
noted it runs movies in 16 bit rgb, but if I change it to 32bit ARGB
then I don't get what I expected to see, a transparent Form.

Clues are welcome.