[Survey] About the cognitive surcharge of super

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Sep 6 18:37:43 UTC 2002

Stephane Ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> Hi ian
>
> this is fun because squeakers are much better than the oo expert (j..)
> I know ;).
> Just a point.  The fact that class is not sent is not really good. I
> would say that ideally it should be bytecoded only when class is not
> redefined in the class or one of its superclasses.
Trivial to fix if people would like it;

'From Squeak3.1beta of 3 October 2001 [latest update: #4478] on 5 January 2002 at 11:21:57 am'!
"Change Set:		byteCodePrimClassFix
Date:			5 January 2002
Author:			tim at sumeru.stanford.edu

Snippet of VM code to change the bytecodePrimClass bytecode to send the special selector #23 (#class) instead of shortcircuiting it. This ought to be considered as a possible improvement in the life of proxy programmers."!

!Interpreter methodsFor: 'common selector sends' stamp: 'tpr 1/5/2002 11:19'!
bytecodePrimClass

	messageSelector _ self specialSelector: 23.
	argumentCount _ 1.
	self normalSend.
! !

tim