Making Squeak look good on WinXP

Nils Kassube nika at kassube.de
Sat Sep 7 17:48:01 UTC 2002

Guten Abend.

After seeing and hearing Alan Kays fascinating talk in Hamburg, I
immediately downloaded and played with the Squeak environment.

So far, it's looks very interesting and I've already ordered Marc
Guzdial's book (good choice?). However, there's something that's
really annoying: Compared to the smooth display on Kay's PowerBook,
the fonts on my Windows XP notebook using a 1600x1200 TFT display look
terrible. On my Linux/X11 test system using a conventional monitor, it
looks okay. I've found a bit of information in the Wiki about
antialiasing, subpixel rendering and TrueType fonts, but only about
old Squeak versions, not for Microsoft Windows and the instructions
are difficult to understand for Squeak newbies.

Cheers,
Nils